Re: Small PATCH: check of 2 Perl modules

From: Victor Wagner <vitus(at)wagner(dot)pp(dot)ru>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Small PATCH: check of 2 Perl modules
Date: 2016-02-16 13:36:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 08:34:11 -0500
Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:

> On 2/12/16 8:20 AM, Eugene Kazakov wrote:
> > TAP-tests need two Perl modules: Test::More and IPC::Run.
> >
> > The patch adds checking of modules in configure.in and configure.
>
> I think those modules are part of a standard Perl installation.

Not everyone have "standard perl installation" nowadays. Most Linux
users, for example, use Perl package from the distrubution, and
distributions love to strip down standard perl installation putting its
parts into separate packages, some of which might be optional.

For example, in Centos 6 it is part of perl-Test-Simple package. which
might be not included into docker images or simular minimal systems for
container-based deployment.

So, it worth few lines of the configure.in to remind user that "Your
perl installation is not standard enough".