Re: WIP: SCRAM authentication

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: SCRAM authentication
Date: 2016-02-15 01:53:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Michael Paquier (michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 10:23 AM, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> > I would start by pointing out that pg_user currently uses pg_shadow..
> > Why do we need pg_shadow or pg_user or related views at all..?
>
> pg_user/pg_shadow have the advantage to be world-readable and mask
> password values.

New views would have that same advantage, should we implement them that
way. Tom's approach is also workable though, where we make the existing
views have a reducaed charter, which is mainly around providing user
lists and simply not include any info about password verifiers or the
like.

Thanks!

Stephen