Re: In-core regression tests for replication, cascading, archiving, PITR, etc.

From: Victor Wagner <vitus(at)wagner(dot)pp(dot)ru>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: In-core regression tests for replication, cascading, archiving, PITR, etc.
Date: 2016-02-04 13:43:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 4 Feb 2016 12:59:03 +0300
Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

for it?

> > 1) Better to raise more meaningful error when IPC::Run is absent.
>
> This has been discussed before, and as far as I recall the current
> behavior has been concluded as being fine. That's where
> --enable-tap-tests becomes meaningful.

Really, it is not so hard to add configure checks for perl modules.
And we need to test not only for IPC::Run, but for Test::More too,
because some Linux distributions put modules which come with perl into
separate package.

The only problem that most m4 files with tests for perl modules, which
can be found in the Internet, have GPL license, so someone have either
to write his own and publish under PostgreSQL license or contact
author of one of them and ask to publish it under PostgreSQL license.

First seems to be much easier.