Re: Move PinBuffer and UnpinBuffer to atomics

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, YUriy Zhuravlev <u(dot)zhuravlev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Move PinBuffer and UnpinBuffer to atomics
Date: 2016-02-01 21:35:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alexander Korotkov wrote:

> Attached patch is rebased and have better comments.
> Also, there is one comment which survive since original version by Andres.
>
> /* Add exponential backoff? Should seldomly be contended tho. */
>

> Andres, did you mean we should twice the delay with each unsuccessful try
> to lock?

This is probably a tough patch to review; trying to break it with low
number of shared buffers and high concurrency might be an interesting
exercise.

I know Andres is already pretty busy with the checkpoint flush patch and
I very much doubt he will be able to give this patch a lot of attention
in the short term. Moving to next CF.