Re: checkpointer continuous flushing

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: checkpointer continuous flushing
Date: 2016-01-20 15:16:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andres Freund wrote:

> The relevant thread is at
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/CA%2BTgmoaCr3kDPafK5ygYDA9mF9zhObGp_13q0XwkEWsScw6h%3Dw%40mail.gmail.com
> what I didn't remember is that I voiced concern back then about exactly this:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/201112011518.29964.andres%40anarazel.de
> ;)

Interesting. If we consider for a minute that part of the cause for the
slowdown is slowness in pg_clog, maybe we should reconsider the initial
decision to flush as quickly as possible (i.e. adopt a strategy where
walwriter sleeps a bit between two flushes) in light of the group-update
feature for CLOG being proposed by Amit Kapila in another thread -- it
seems that these things might go hand-in-hand.