Re: BUG #13859: pg_upgrade permissions on Windows

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: igal(at)lucee(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #13859: pg_upgrade permissions on Windows
Date: 2016-01-18 17:41:14
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 06:23:01PM +0000, igal(at)lucee(dot)org wrote:

> Bug reference: 13859
> Logged by: Igal Sapir
> Email address: igal(at)lucee(dot)org
> PostgreSQL version: 9.5.0
> Operating system: Windows 2008R2
>
> I'm not sure if this is a known issue or not, but in order to run pg_upgrade
> on Windows to upgrade from pgsql-9.4 to pgsql-9.5 I had to:
>
> 1) Give Write permissions to Everyone for the working directory, old-data
> directory, and new-data directory.
>
> * please note that I was running pg_upgrade as Administrator but still had
> to add those permissions

That is odd. We document:

For Windows users, you must be logged into an administrative account, and
then start a shell as the <literal>postgres</> user and set the proper path:

I have not heard anyone else have this issue.

> 2) Set method to trust in pg_hba.conf for both the old database and the new
> database.

The documentation suggests pg_pass, though "trust" works too:

<step>
<title>Adjust authentication</title>

<para>
<command>pg_upgrade</> will connect to the old and new servers several
times, so you might want to set authentication to <literal>peer</>
in <filename>pg_hba.conf</> or use a <filename>~/.pgpass</> file
(see <xref linkend="libpq-pgpass">).
</para>
</step>

> If those are the requirements then it should be documented better in my
> opinion, though it might be better to make it less restrictive if possible.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Roman grave inscription +