Re: dynloader.h missing in prebuilt package for Windows?

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: "Olson, Ken" <Ken(dot)Olson(at)pega(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net" <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
Subject: Re: dynloader.h missing in prebuilt package for Windows?
Date: 2015-12-31 01:40:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 02:08:19PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> In the Windows MSVC build, we handle pg_config_os.h in the Perl scripts,
> but not dynloader.h. The attached patch copies the process used for
> pg_config_os.h to handle dynloader.h. I believe this is the only *.h
> file that has this problem.
>
> This should fix the PL/Java Windows build problem. I don't think I will
> get this patch into 9.5.0 but will put it in after 9.5.0 is released and
> it will appear in all the next minor version releases, including 9.5.1,
> which should happen in the next 60 days.

Oops. Once this patch is applied, it is only going to take effect when
someone _installs_ Postgres. Even an initdb will not add the file.
This means that upgrading to the next minor release will _not_ fix this.

This suggests that we perhaps should consider this for 9.5.0, and that
your hack will have to be active until 9.4 gets to end-of-life, or
perhaps 9.5 if we can't get this into 9.5.0. People who are using 9.5
Beta or RC will still not have the file, meaning 9.5 end-of-life might
still be a requirement.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Roman grave inscription +