Re: BUG #13832: Syntax errors are extremely unfriendly

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: John McKown <john(dot)archie(dot)mckown(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #13832: Syntax errors are extremely unfriendly
Date: 2015-12-28 20:38:50
Lists: pgsql-bugs

John McKown wrote:

> ​I don't know what you've looked at for the auto-complete, but I ran across
> this example which uses GNU readline:
> http://cc.byexamples.com/2008/06/16/gnu-readline-implement-custom-auto-complete/
> ​

We have that already:
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/bin/psql/tab-complete.c;hb=HEAD
Tom's point was to get Bison to cooperate so that we can auto-generate
that file instead of having to program the completions ourselves -- and
that the problem of getting Bison to give reasonable syntax error
messages is very similar to that of Bison providing possible
completions.