Re: WIP: About CMake v2

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br>, YUriy Zhuravlev <u(dot)zhuravlev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WIP: About CMake v2
Date: 2015-11-26 18:52:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> Not working with the cmake version shipped in current distributions would
> almost certainly cause us to reject this patch. Adding a new build
> dependency is bad enough; adding one that isn't easily available is a
> show-stopper. You'd better think in terms of what's provided with RHEL6,
> not RHEL7, as the minimum baseline on the Red Hat side. I'm not sure what
> the oldest active LTS distribution is in the Debian world, but I'm pretty
> sure it won't have cmake 3.

Current Debian Stable (wheezy) has cmake 3.0.2. Oldstable (jessie) has
2.8.4.

As for Ubuntu, according to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS the oldest still
supported is 12.04 (Precise Pangolin) and they have 2.8.7:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/cmake

For these systems, the CMake 2.8 functionality would be enough. No need
to go back to 2.6.