Re: Making tab-complete.c easier to maintain

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com, thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Making tab-complete.c easier to maintain
Date: 2015-11-16 15:16:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI wrote:

> Auto-generating from grammer should be the ultimate solution but
> I don't think it will be available. But still I found that the
> word-splitting-then-match-word-by-word-for-each-matching is
> terriblly unmaintainable and poorly capable. So, how about
> regular expressions?

I don't think this is an improvement. It seems to me that a lot more
work is required to maintain these regular expressions, which while
straightforward are not entirely trivial (harder to read).

If we could come up with a reasonable format that is pre-processed to a
regexp, that might be better. I think Thomas' proposed patch is closer
to that than Horiguchi-san's.