BRIN cost estimate

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: BRIN cost estimate
Date: 2015-11-16 13:52:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Somebody wrote to me a few days ago that the BRIN cost estimation is
rather poor. One immediately obvious issue which I think is easily
fixed is the correlation estimate, which is currently hardcoded to 1.

Since a BRIN scan always entails a scan of the relation in physical
order, it's simple to produce a better estimate for that, per the
attached patch. (Note: trying to run this on expression indexes will
cause a crash. I need to complete that part ...)

There are other improvements we've been discussing, but I'm unclear that
I will have time to study them to get a useful patch quickly enough. If
somebody else wants to mess with this, please get in touch.

Thoughts?

--
Álvaro Herrera 33.5S 70.5W

Attachment Content-Type Size
brin-correlation.patch text/x-diff 3.2 KB