Re: Move PinBuffer and UnpinBuffer to atomics

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: YUriy Zhuravlev <u(dot)zhuravlev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Move PinBuffer and UnpinBuffer to atomics
Date: 2015-10-30 14:12:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Thanks for benchmarking!

On 2015-10-30 16:28:22 +0300, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
> pinunpin-cas-original-fix.patch is just original patch by Andres Freund
> with fixed bug which causes hang.
> Performance comparison on 72-cores Intel server in attached. On this
> machine we see no regression in version of patch in previous letter.

So pinunpin-cas-original-fix is my version with a bug fixed, and
pinunpin-cas is what exactly? Your earlier version with the xadd +
cmpxchg?

The results look pretty good. Could you give a few more details about
the hardware and workload (i.e. cpu model number + scale)?

So the plan would be to finish cleaning this up into a committable
shape?

Greetings,

Andres Freund