Re: unsupportable composite type partition keys

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: unsupportable composite type partition keys
Date: 2019-12-23 18:57:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Mon, Dec 23, 2019 at 23:49 Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Oh, interesting --- I hadn't been paying much attention to that thread.
>> I'll compare your PoC there to what I did.

> Actually, I should’ve said that your patch is much better attempt at
> getting this in order, so there’s not much to see in my patch really. :)

One thing I see is that you chose to relocate RelationGetPartitionDesc's
declaration to partdesc.h, whereupon RelationBuildPartitionDesc doesn't
have to be exported at all anymore. Perhaps that's a better factorization
than what I did. It supposes that any caller of RelationGetPartitionDesc
is going to need partdesc.h, but that seems reasonable. We could likewise
move RelationGetPartitionKey to partcache.h.