Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, YUriy Zhuravlev <u(dot)zhuravlev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!
Date: 2015-09-29 02:18:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

JD,

* Joshua D. Drake (jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com) wrote:
> >We already made a similar choice some years ago when we started
> >depending on the then-recently open sourced SourceForge code for
> >pgFoundry. That didn't turn out all that well in the long run.
>
> I think we need to look at long standing FOSS projects with a large
> and extended user base (Redmine, RT). Anything that is fairly
> community specific (Debbugs) likely will cause more heartache than
> it is worth in the long run.

debbugs is being used by Debian, and has been since before our first
release (I believe- according to wikipedia, it started in 1994..).
Further, it's now being used by the GNU project for things as important
(well, to some ;) as Emacs.

It also requires a minimum of customization to integrate with our
existing workflow.

That's good enough for us to at least test it out, in my view.

I've run both Redmine (ugh) and RT (it's good, but I don't feel it's
quite as good as debbugs, for us).

Further, to your specific point, neither of those have the kind of FOSS
community backing that debbugs has. I have no issue with BestPractical
but I don't know that there's 100 individuals ready to jump in and help
keep RT going if they go south. Redmine seems a bit better in that
regard, but it's painful to maintain and is only 9 years old, while
debbugs is old enough to drink in the US at this point.

Thanks!

Stephen