Re: Can extension build own SGML document?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Can extension build own SGML document?
Date: 2015-09-14 21:01:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 9/14/15 5:35 AM, Kouhei Kaigai wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > The pgxs makefile (pgxs.ml) says:
> >
> > # DOCS -- random files to install under $PREFIX/doc/$MODULEDIR
> >
> > It is a bunch of files to be copied to document directory, however,
> > not looks like a variable to specify SGML source as PostgreSQL core
> > doing.
> >
> > Do we have way to build SGML source of extension using makefile?
>
> No.
>
> We could, but a project that's large enough to want this kind of thing
> will likely have its own ideas and requirements, so it unclear how
> difficult it would be to support that.

FWIW bdr has such a thing. Mostly, they replaced postgres.sgml with
bdr.sgml and stripped down and edited the Makefile to match. The
resulting doc is a standalone "book" (in docbook parlance). You can see
the source code here
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=2ndquadrant_bdr.git;a=tree;f=doc;hb=HEAD
Note there's no support for anything other than HTML --- no PDF, no
EPUB, etc.

The resulting HTML is published as http://bdr-project.org/docs/stable/

I think the only way upstream Postgres could offer this is as a way to
build a separate "book", i.e. not a chapter/section within the main
book. I think it would require huge complications in doc/src/sgml's
Makefile. Not sure it's worthwhile.