Re: RLS open items are vague and unactionable

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RLS open items are vague and unactionable
Date: 2015-09-13 19:59:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dean,

* Dean Rasheed (dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
> OK, here's a rebased version of the patch.

Thanks!

> There are no significant changes from last time this was discussed. I
> believe the module regression test changes are harmless --- a result
> of a change in the order that SB quals are added (internal policies
> are now always added/checked before external ones), which can
> influence qual pushdown.

I've been through this and definitely like it more than what we had
previously, as I had mentioned previously. I've also added the
RETURNING handling, per the discussion between you, Robert, Tom, and
Kevin.

Would be great to get your feedback both on the relatively minor changes
which I made to your refactoring patch (mostly cosmetic) and how I added
in the handling for the RETURNING case, which was made much simpler and
cleaner by the refactoring. (Working through adding the RETURNING also
helped my understanding of the refactoring, which I feel comfortable
that I understand well now.)

Thanks again!

Stephen

Attachment Content-Type Size
rls-refactoring.v2.patch text/x-diff 65.5 KB