Re: WIP: Make timestamptz_out less slow.

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: Make timestamptz_out less slow.
Date: 2015-09-11 16:24:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2015-09-12 04:00:26 +1200, David Rowley wrote:
> I've not done anything yet to remove the #ifdef HAVE_INT64_TIMESTAMP from
> AppendSeconds(). The only way I can think to handle this is to just
> make fsec_t unconditionally an int64 (since with float datetimes the
> precision is 10 decimal digits after the dec point, this does not fit in
> int32). I'd go off and do this, but this means I need to write an int64
> version of pg_ltostr(). Should I do it this way?

I don't have time to look into this in detail right now. But isn't that
the wrong view?

The precision with float timestamps is still microseconds which you can
easily express in an integer. That the value can be higher is just
because fsec_t for floating points also includes seconds, right? It
shouldn't be too hard to separate those?

Greetings,

Andres Freund