Re: Horizontal scalability/sharding

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Mason S <masonlists(at)gmail(dot)com>, Oleg Bartunov <obartunov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Horizontal scalability/sharding
Date: 2015-09-01 09:48:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 09:30:41AM +0530, Pavan Deolasee wrote:
> My worry is that if we start implementing them again from scratch, it will take
> a few years before we get them in a usable state. What XC/XL lacked is probably
> a Robert Haas or a Tom Lane who could look at the work and suggest major edits.
> If that had happened, the quality of the product could have been much better
> today. I don't mean to derate the developers who worked on XC/XL, but there is
> no harm in accepting that if someone with a much better understanding of the
> whole system was part of the team, that would have positively impacted the
> project. Is that an angle worth exploring? Does it make sense to commit some
> more resources to say XC or XL and try to improve the quality of the product
> even further? To be honest, XL is in far far better shape (haven't really tried
> XC in a while) and some more QA/polishing can make it production ready much
> sooner.

There is no question that using XC/XL will get us to a usable solution
faster, but see my recent post to Josh Berkus --- the additional code
will be so burdensome that I doubt it would be accepted. If it was, I
bet we would have considered it long ago.

I think the only way we are going to get sharding into Postgres is to do
it in a way that enhances existing Postgres capabilities.

(I think we got a little too cute in enhancing existing Postgres
capabilities to add partitioning, and I think we need to fix that.
Hopefully we don't do the same thing with sharding.)

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Everyone has their own god. +