Re: Horizontal scalability/sharding

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Mason S <masonlists(at)gmail(dot)com>, Oleg Bartunov <obartunov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Horizontal scalability/sharding
Date: 2015-09-01 02:23:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> My hope is that many FDW improvements will benefit sharding and
> non-sharding workloads, but I bet some improvements are going to be
> sharding-specific. I would say we are still in the exploratory stage,
> but based on the number of people who care about this feature and want
> to be involved, I think we are off to a very good start. :-)

Having lots of interested people doesn't help with some problems,
though. The Citus document says:

And the issue with these four limitations wasn't with foreign
data wrappers. We wrote mongo_fdw and cstore_fdw, and we're
quite happy with the contract FDWs provide. The problem was that
we were trying to retrofit an API for something that it was
fundamentally not designed to do.