Re: 9.4 broken on alpha

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Cree <mcree(at)orcon(dot)net(dot)nz>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Aaron W(dot) Swenson" <titanofold(at)gentoo(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 9.4 broken on alpha
Date: 2015-08-29 15:32:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 09:19:09PM -0400, Noah Misch wrote:
> As it is, we've implicitly prepared to ship Alpha-supporting
> PostgreSQL 9.4 until 2019, by which time the newest Alpha hardware
> will be 15 years old. Computer museums would be our only audience
> for continued support. I do have a sentimental weakness for
> computer museums, but not at the price of drag on important
> performance work.

+1000

I think we need to take realistic stock of what we're doing and what
we should require.

At a minimum, we should de-support every platform on which literally
no new deployments will ever happen.

I'm looking specifically at you, HPUX, and I could make a pretty good
case for the idea that we can relegate 32-bit platforms to the ash
heap of history, at least on the server side.

Then, there's the question of rotating media. Given the givens, we
ought to be drawing up plans for the cases where we might consider
supporting them, but those would need to be zero-based plans, i.e. the
starting point would be that we don't support them, and arguments
would have to be made affirmatively to support them for some specific,
demonstrable use case.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!