More WITH

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: More WITH
Date: 2015-08-17 17:18:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Folks,

In the interest of consistency, which is to say, of not hitting
barriers that are essentially implementation details, I'd like to
propose that we allow the rest of the row-returning commands inside
WITH clauses. We currently have:

SELECT
VALUES
INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE ... RETURNING

We don't yet have:

EXPLAIN [ANALYZE]
SHOW
FETCH

A little further out there, although this would be an API change, we
might consider allowing the results of VACUUM and ANALYZE as row sets,
which would also be good to wrap in WITH.

Is there a good reason, or more than one, why we shouldn't have all
the row-returning commands in WITH?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!