Re: Test code is worth the space

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Test code is worth the space
Date: 2015-08-13 01:43:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 9:24 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> > * Michael Paquier (michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
> >>
> >> Interesting. Do you mind if I pick up from it some ideas for the
> >> in-core replication test suite based on TAP stuff? That's still in the
> >> works for the next CF.
> >
> > Certainly don't mind at all, entirely open source under the MIT
> > license.
>
> Why not the PG license? It would be nicer if we didn't have to worry
> about license contamination here.

There is no conflict between the licenses and pgBackRest is not part of
nor maintained as part of the PostgreSQL project.

Not that I'm against that changing, certainly, but it was independently
developed and I wouldn't ask the community to take on maintaining
something which wasn't developed following the community process, not to
mention that I imagine some would probably want it rewritten in C.

We clearly have dependencies, to the extent that there's concern about
licenses, on much more restrictive and interesting licenses, and there
currently isn't even any real dependency here and would only be if the
PGDG decided to fork pgBackRest and start maintaining it independently.

Thanks!

Stephen