Re: RFC: replace pg_stat_activity.waiting with something more descriptive

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Ildus Kurbangaliev <i(dot)kurbangaliev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com" <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>, "andres(at)anarazel(dot)de" <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: RFC: replace pg_stat_activity.waiting with something more descriptive
Date: 2015-08-04 20:53:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ildus Kurbangaliev wrote:

> A new version of the patch. I used your idea with macros, and with tranches that
> allowed us to remove array with names (they can be written directly to the corresponding
> tranche).

Just a bystander here, I haven't reviewed this patch at all, but I have
two questions,

1. have you tested this under -DEXEC_BACKEND ? I wonder if those
initializations are going to work on Windows.

2. why keep the SLRU control locks as individual locks? Surely we could
put them in the SlruCtl struct and get rid of a few individual lwlocks?

Also, I wonder if we shouldn't be doing this in two parts, one that
changes the underlying lwlock structure and another one to change
pg_stat_activity.

We have CppAsString() in c.h IIRC, which we use instead of # (we do use
## in a few places though). I wonder if that stuff has any value
anymore.