security labels on databases are bad for dump & restore

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
Subject: security labels on databases are bad for dump & restore
Date: 2015-07-10 11:57:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

pg_dump dumps security labels on databases. Which makes sense. The
problem is that they're dumped including the database name.

Which means that if you dump a database and restore it into a
differently named one you'll either get a failure because the database
does not exist, or worse you'll update the label of the wrong database.

So I think we need CURRENT_DATABASE (or similar) support for security
labels on databases.

I won't have time to do anything about this anytime soon, but I think we
should fix that at some point. Shall I put this on the todo? Or do we
want to create an 'open items' page that's not major version specific?

Greetings,

Andres Freund