Re: BUG #13495: Postgres documentation consistently teaches 'bad' practice

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: grb(at)skogoglandskap(dot)no
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #13495: Postgres documentation consistently teaches 'bad' practice
Date: 2015-07-09 10:07:30
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 2015-07-09 09:52:59 +0000, grb(at)skogoglandskap(dot)no wrote:
> Relates to a current thread on pgsql-performance.

Can we please, please, not spread the discussion out any further. It's
bad enough that we're already discussing on separate threads on -bugs
and -performance.

> This issue is absolutely critical for performance and scalability of code,

Pft. In most cases it doesn't actually matter that much because the
contained query are the expensive stuff. It's just when you do lots of
very short and cheap things that it has such a big effect. Usually the
effect on the planner is bigger.

That said, I don't mind improving the docs here, they're not easy to
grasp. But it probably shouldn't be in plpgsql's docs, but rather the
general function ones.