Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add pg_audit, an auditing extension

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Cc: ian(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add pg_audit, an auditing extension
Date: 2015-06-10 13:41:59
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 09, 2015 at 03:54:59PM -0400, David Steele wrote:
> I've certainly had quite the experience as a first-time contributor
> working on this patch. Perhaps I bit off more than I should have and I
> definitely managed to ruffle a few feathers along the way. I learned a
> lot about how the community works, both the good and the bad. Fear not,
> though, I'm not so easily discouraged and you'll definitely be hearing
> more from me.

Glad to hear it.

> The stated purpose of contrib is: "include porting tools, analysis
> utilities, and plug-in features that are not part of the core PostgreSQL
> system, mainly because they address a limited audience or are too
> experimental to be part of the main source tree. This does not preclude
> their usefulness."
>
> Perhaps we should consider modifying that language, because from my
> perspective pg_audit fit the description perfectly.

"What is contrib?" attracts enduring controversy; see recent thread "RFC:
Remove contrib entirely" for the latest episode. However that discussion
concludes, that documentation passage is not too helpful as a guide to
predicting contrib patch reception. (Most recent contrib additions had an
obvious analogy to an existing module, sidestepping the question.)