Re: [CORE] Restore-reliability mode

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-core <pgsql-core(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [CORE] Restore-reliability mode
Date: 2015-06-05 15:52:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 05:36:41PM +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
> I don't think anything as localized as 'do nothing but bugfixes for a
> while and then carry on' actually will solve the problem. We need to
> find and reallocate resources to put more emphasis on review, robustness
> and refactoring in the long term, not do panick-y stuff short term. This
> isn't a problem that can be solved by focusing on bugfixing for a week
> or four.

Fine. We just need that refocus, and people usually can't refocus while
they are worried about other pressures, e.g. time --- its like trying to
adjust the GPS while driving --- not easy.

> That means we have to convince employers to actually *pay* us (people
> experienced with the codebase) to do work on these kind of things
> instead of much-easier-to-market new features. A lot of
> review/robustness work has been essentially done in our spare time,
> after long days. Which means the employers need to get more people.

Agreed --- that is a serious long-term need.

> > Sure. I think everyone agrees the multi-xact work is all good, so I am
> > asking what else needs this kind of research. If there is nothing else,
> > we can move forward again --- I am just saying we need to ask the
> > reliability question _first_.
>
> I'm starting to get grumpy here. You've called for review in lots of
> emails now. Let's get going then?

I really don't know. If people say we don't have anything like
multi-xact that we have avoided, then I have no further concerns. I am
asking that such decisions be made independent of external time
pressures.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Everyone has their own god. +