Re: ERROR: MultiXactId xxxx has not been created yet -- apparent wraparound

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Paul Smith <paul(at)pscs(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ERROR: MultiXactId xxxx has not been created yet -- apparent wraparound
Date: 2015-05-26 15:01:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Paul Smith wrote:
> With PostgreSQL 9.3.5 on Ubuntu 12.04, I'm getting the error:
>
> ERROR: MultiXactId 1934308693 has not been created yet -- apparent
> wraparound
>
> on doing various queries on our database. I don't think it is a wraparound -
> I think the tuple has mistakenly decided it has a MultiXactId related to it.

Yeah, that looks like the case. According to your pg_controldata
output, you haven't used many multixacts at all:

> Latest checkpoint's NextMultiXactId: 216
> Latest checkpoint's NextMultiOffset: 439

and the fact that you only have these files:

> The pg_multixact directory contains two files
> members/0000
> offsets/0000

confirms this. You XID counter is also rather low, only 24 million:

> Latest checkpoint's NextXID: 0/24005839

so it doesn't seem plausible that the single bit HEAP_XMAX_IS_MULTI was
turned on accidentally (something which I've never seen happen).

It doesn't look like a randomly corrupt page either; normally you would
see errors about mismatching page headers before you get to the point
where Xmax is read. I wonder if the data page came from elsewhere.
Maybe you copied a data file from another database?