Re: brin regression test intermittent failures

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: brin regression test intermittent failures
Date: 2015-05-15 22:45:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> There's something odd about the brin regression tests. They seem to generate
> intermittent failures, which suggests some sort of race condition or
> ordering failure.
>
> See for example <http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=fulmar&dt=2015-05-15%2001%3A02%3A28>
> and <http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=sittella&dt=2015-05-15%2021%3A08%3A38>

Yeah it's pretty odd. I guess the way to figure out what is going on is
to get the test to print out the index contents in case of failure.
I guess I could do something with \gset.

(The way to print out the index is to use the pageinspect functions.
One problem is that at the time the brin test is run we don't have
pageinspect)

Of course, if I could reproduce the issue locally, this would be a lot
easier.