Re: feature freeze and beta schedule

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: feature freeze and beta schedule
Date: 2015-05-01 16:37:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2015-04-30 08:39:45 -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> If you have spare cycles, there are a number of relevant patches still
> open in the commit fest.

I was wondering what the actual state of the commitfest is. I'm thus
going through all the open items. Here's my thoughts:

* fsync $PGDATA recursively at startup
Bugfix, i.e. not really tied to CF

* EvalPlanQual behaves oddly for FDW queries involving system columns
Tom wants to take care of it next week.
=> Keep in 'ready for committer'

* Do not vacuum pgbench tables if they do not exist when pgbench -f given
Robert was recently sending an iteration of a patch, so I think this
is being taken care of.
=> Keep in 'ready for committer'

* Multivariate statistics
This is not intended to be committed this CF.
=> I'd like to mark this as returned with (little) feedback.

* fastbloat
Not too big, I think it should be easy to commit this.
=> Keep in 'ready for committer'

* Avoiding plan disasters with LIMIT
I'm not enthused by the approach, it's disabled by default though. So
it might not be too bad to just do it. Would probably have been a good
idea to discuss the patch in a separate thread.
=> ?

* Turning off HOT for larger SQL queries
Seems to have degenerated into a discussion of not really related
things. I personally would vote for committing something close to what
Simon proposed last *directly at the beginning* of the next cycle.
=> Move?

* BRIN inclusion operator class
This seems to be a mishmash of bugfix and feature. The bugfixes should
be applied pdq...
=> ?
* Async execution of postgres_fdw.

Later iterations of the patch haven't gotten much review yet. The
original version of the patch is just from 2014-12-15.
=> Should imo be moved to the next CF

* PageRepairFragmentation optimization
Hm. Heikki hasn't replied recently. It's a committer's patch though,
so it probably doesn't matter that much.
=> Move?

* Abbreviated key support for Datum sorts
Unfortunately the discussion about potential performance regression
has been largely sidestepped by bickering over minutiae.
=> ?

* Unique Joins
This seems to require more work and came in pretty late
=> Returned with feedback.

* INNER JOIN removals
Seem far to controversial to consider comitting in 9.5.
=> Returned (or even rejected :()

* Aggregate State Combine Support
I think we pretty clearly need something roughly like this. It seems
equally clear that this isn't going to happen in 9.5
=> Returned with feedback

* Allow "snapshot too old" error, to prevent bloat
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/1361166406.1897609.1424371443904.JavaMail.yahoo%40mail.yahoo.com
talked about a new version that afaics never materialized
=> Returned with feedback

* KNN-GiST with recheck
Unfortunately the last version hasn't gotten feedback. The topic is
somewhat old, so I'd be ugly to not do somethign about it this CF. I
can't judge the state of the patch right now.
=> ?

* GIN fillfactor
Seems like a simple enough idea.
=> I guess somebody should review and commit it?

* Manipulating complex types as non-contiguous structures in-memory
Pretty large for this state and being proposed late. On the other hand
it's Tom. Looks like it could use some review tho.
=> ?

* Optimization for updating foreign tables in Postgres FDW
Hm. The last, significantly redone, iteration doesn't seem to have
gotten much code level review.
=> ?

* iteration over record in plpgsql
To me this still seems to be in the in the design phase.
=> Return?

* Sequence Access Method
There's been some back and forth between Petr and Heikki on this
lately.
=> Maybe there's still a chance for 9.5?

* archive_mode=shared/always
Hasn't really gotten code level review yet. Heikki?

* Sending WAL receiver feedback regularly even if the receiver is under
heavy load
Imo more of a bugfix than a feature. I.e. doesn't really concern the
CF scheduling.

* Auditing extension
I'm unclear on the status here. Abhijit said he'll have a look.

* Parallel Seq scan
In my opinion the topic has progressed greatly. But at the same time
it doesn't seem like it's in a state we should consider for 9.5.
=> Return?

* ctidscan as an example of custom-scan
Hasn't really gotten sufficient review.
=> Move

* logical column ordering (WIP)
This pretty clearly isn't 9.5 material.
=> Return

* parallel mode/contexts
The largest part of this has just been committed. There's more
contentious/complicated bits around locking left. I have a hard time
believing we have the cycles to resolve those for 9.5. It'd be neat if
we could, but I think "older" stuff has a bit of precedence.

* Support ORDER BY in CREATE FUNCTION for Set Returning Functions
Uhm. I think the outcome of the discussion so far wasn't really
favorable to the idea s proposed.
=> Rejected

* RLS: row-level security, more review
More of a placeholder item. There seem to various open items.

* Cube extension kNN support
Waiting on author for a few weeks, and submitted late.
=> Returned with feedback

* compress method for spgist
Hm. Changes spgist's API. Hasn't gotten review in the redone version.
But it's also not that large?
=> Move?

* mogrify and indent for jsonb
Committer's patch marked as ready for commit.
=> Should get committed ;)

* assessing parallel-safety
Unclear. The patch isn't particularly huge, but I'm not sure the
design is full finished yet. It also came in somewhat late.
=> Unclear.

* Join pushdown support for foreign tables
Hasn't gotten particularly much review yet. And it doesn't look
entirely ready to me on a very quick scan. But I don't know that much
about the area.
=> Move?

* Deparsing utility commands
IIUc Alvaro intends to commit a minimal version soon.

* Grouping Sets
Tom intends to take a peek next week.

* INSERT ... ON CONFLICT {UPDATE | IGNORE}
Heikki, Peter and I have spent a fair amount of time on this. I believe
we can commit it early next week.

* TABLESAMPLE clause
Doesn't seem very far from being done. Some questions about including
(or not) DDL and contrib modules seem to remain.

* REINDEX xxx VERBOSE
Looks simple enough to commit soon.

* regrole and regnamespace
Looks simple enough to commit soon.

* pg_basebackup vs. Windows and tablespaces
Should be committed.

* Additional role attributes
I agree with Robert's point in
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/CA%2BTgmobH4tdccajn7VmPT-1RqBdzLYcAz5jUz4bJ%3Drkqs_gADA%40mail.gmail.com
and thus think that this patch isn't ready for 9.5.

* catalog view to pg_hba.conf file
Greg is marked as a comitter here.

* pg_file_settings view: To know detail of config files via SQL
Seems to be ready.

* Add pg_settings.pending_restart column
Looks like it coudl quickly be committed.

Greetings,

Andres Freund