Re: BUG #12990: Missing pg_multixact/members files (appears to have wrapped, then truncated)

From: David Gould <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>, "tgarnett(at)panjiva(dot)com" <tgarnett(at)panjiva(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #12990: Missing pg_multixact/members files (appears to have wrapped, then truncated)
Date: 2015-04-27 20:11:46
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 11:59:10 -0300
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> I think we can easily determine the rate of multixact member space
> consumption and compare to the rate of multixact ID consumption;
> considering the historical multixact size (number of members per
> multixact) it would be possible to change the freeze ages by the same
> fraction, so that autovac effectively behaves as if the members
> consumption rate is what is driving the freezing instead of ID
> consumption rate. That way, we don't have to jump suddenly from
> "normal" to "emergency" behavior as some fixed threshold.

I would like to add a data point: one of my clients has a plpgsql function
that manages to use ten to 30 thousand multixact ids per invocation. It
interacts with a remote resource and sets an exception handler on a per
item basis to catch errors on the remote call.

-dg

--
David Gould 510 282 0869 daveg(at)sonic(dot)net