Re: inherit support for foreign tables

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
Cc: Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Shigeru Hanada <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: inherit support for foreign tables
Date: 2015-04-14 18:52:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jim Nasby wrote:
> On 4/14/15 5:49 AM, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> > postgres=# create foreign table ft1 (c1 int) server myserver options
> > (table_name 't1');
> > CREATE FOREIGN TABLE
> > postgres=# create foreign table ft2 (c1 int) server myserver options
> > (table_name 't2');
> > CREATE FOREIGN TABLE
> > postgres=# alter foreign table ft2 inherit ft1;
> > ALTER FOREIGN TABLE
> > postgres=# select * from ft1 for update;
> > ERROR: could not find junk tableoid1 column
> >
> > I think this is a bug. Attached is a patch fixing this issue.
>
> What happens when the foreign side breaks the inheritance? Does the FDW
> somehow know to check that fact for each query?

This is a meaningless question. The remote tables don't have to have an
inheritance relationship already; only the local side sees them as
connected.

I think the real question is whether we're now (I mean after this patch)
emitting useless tableoid columns that we didn't previously have. I
think the answer is yes, and if so I think we need a smaller comb to fix
the problem. This one seems rather large.