Re: libpq "service" parameter not documented as not allowed inside a pg_service file

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: David Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpq "service" parameter not documented as not allowed inside a pg_service file
Date: 2015-04-01 20:52:48
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 06:52:42PM -0700, David Johnston wrote:
> While the fact that you cannot do:
>
> [service_template]
> host=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>
> [service_db1]
> dbname=db1
> service=service_template
>
> seems obvious there is nothing in the documentation that says this is
> prohibited; and attempting a simple alias entry:

I have developed the attached patch to warn users that nesting of
service entries is not supported. I prefer code warnings over
documentation because the user gets the warning as soon as they try
something, rather than having to hunt in the documentation. I don't
think this issue has come up enough to warrant a doc mention too though.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Everyone has their own god. +

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg_service.diff text/x-diff 722 bytes