Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add macros wrapping all usage of gcc's __attribute__.

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add macros wrapping all usage of gcc's __attribute__.
Date: 2015-03-26 13:19:55
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 2015-03-25 19:11:06 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Add macros wrapping all usage of gcc's __attribute__.
>
> I noticed that this commit attached pg_attribute_noreturn not only
> to the extern declarations, but to some actual function definitions.

Unless either Oskari or I screwed up, it should just have been a 1:1
translation from previous __attribute__((noreturn)) to
pg_attribute_noreturn. I looked through the commit just now and didn't
see any new locations.

> I think this is a bad idea, because it's going to look like heck after
> pgindent gets through with it. Do we actually need decoration on the
> function definitions?

Hm, I guess it should not look any worse than before? None of the
locations look like they've been introduced after the last pgindent
run. I only see plpgsql_yyerror, yyerror. That said, I see little reason
to add the noreturn thingy to the definition and not the declaration for
those. It actually looks to me like there's a declaration for
replication_yyerror, but a plain yyerror is used instead in repl_scanner.l?

Greetings,

Andres Freund