Re: double vacuum in initdb

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: double vacuum in initdb
Date: 2015-03-21 02:59:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 08:35:43PM -0500, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 12/11/14 11:44 AM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> > We want to finish with VACUUM FREEZE without the FULL, unless we
> > don't care about missing visibility maps and free space maps.

I have create the attached initdb patch to update this.

> Why would we care, and if we do, why does VACUUM FULL remove them?
>
> You can also run plain VACUUM after FULL to put the maps back.
>
> But the documentation is apparently missing details about this.

It is a long-standing TODO item I tried to fix, but couldn't:

Allow VACUUM FULL and CLUSTER to update the visibility map

index-only scans : abnormal heap fetches after VACUUM FULL
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20130112191404.255800@gmx.com

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Everyone has their own god. +

Attachment Content-Type Size