Re: "cancelling statement due to user request error" occurs but the transaction has committed.

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Naoya Anzai <anzai-naoya(at)mxu(dot)nes(dot)nec(dot)co(dot)jp>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Akio Iwaasa <iwaasa(at)mxs(dot)nes(dot)nec(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: "cancelling statement due to user request error" occurs but the transaction has committed.
Date: 2015-03-19 02:56:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 08:10:45PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 10:30:24AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> > >
> > > In general, the only way to avoid that sort of behavior for a post-commit
> > > error would be to PANIC ... and even then, the transaction got committed,
> > > which might not be the expectation of a client that got an error message,
> > > even if it said PANIC. So this whole area is a minefield, and the only
> > > attractive thing we can do is to try to reduce the number of errors that
> > > can get thrown post-commit. We already, for example, do not treat
> > > post-commit file unlink failures as ERROR, though we surely would prefer
> > > to do that.
> >
> > We could treated it as a lost-communication scenario. The appropriate
> > recovery actions from the client's point of view are identical.
> >
> > > So from this standpoint, redefining SIGINT as not throwing an error when
> > > we're in post-commit seems like a good idea. I'm not endorsing any
> > > details of the patch here, but the 20000-foot view seems generally sound.
> >
> > Cool, that makes sense to me also.
>
> Did we ever do anything about this?

I have researched this issue originally reported in June of 2014 and
implemented a patch to ignore cancel while we are completing a commit.
I am not clear if this is the proper place for this code, though a
disable_timeout() call on the line above suggests I am close. :-)
(The disable_timeout disables internal timeouts, but it doesn't disable
cancels coming from the client.)

The first patch is for testing and adds a sleep(5) to the end of the
TRUNCATE command, to give the tester time to press Control-C from psql,
and enables log_duration so the cancel is checked.

The second patch is the patch that disables cancel when we are in the
process of committing; before:

test=> CREATE TABLE test(x INT);
CREATE TABLE
test=> INSERT INTO test VALUES (3);
INSERT 0 1
test=> TRUNCATE test;
^CCancel request sent
--> ERROR: canceling statement due to user request
test=> SELECT * FROM test;
---
(0 rows)

and with both patches: