Re: Install shared libs in lib/ and bin/ with MSVC (Was: install libpq.dll in bin directory on Windows / Cygwin)

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Install shared libs in lib/ and bin/ with MSVC (Was: install libpq.dll in bin directory on Windows / Cygwin)
Date: 2015-03-18 18:30:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 3:13 AM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> > I mean, can't we just do the "push" unconditionally here?
>
> Why should we install unnecessary stuff? This complicates the
> installation contents, the point being to have only shared libraries's
> dll installed in bin/, and make things consistent with what MinGW
> does.

I was expecting that if no .dll or .lib file is expected to be
installed, then the file would not be present in the first place.
I just wanted to avoid what seems fragile coding.

> > Surely if there are no "lib/dll" files in the subdirectory, nothing will
> > happen, right? (I haven't actually tried.)
>
> No, it fails. And we should actually have a bin/lib that has been
> correctly generated. Do you think this is a problem? Normally we
> *should* fail IMO, meaning that the build process has broken what it
> should have done.

Makes sense.

I have pushed your patch; we'll see what the buildfarm thinks of it.
(Sadly, the number of MSVC members is rather small and they don't run
often.)