Re: pg9.4 relpages of child tables

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg9.4 relpages of child tables
Date: 2015-03-18 16:57:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 12:11:22PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> writes:
> > I believe there's been a behavior change, and not sure if it's deliberate. I
> > don't think there's a negative consequence for our production use, but it
> > confused me while summing relpages for analysis purposes, as our 9.4 customers
> > behaved differently.
>
> I suspect that you're getting confused because autovacuum kicked in on the

It seems you're right. I was additionally confused because the autovacuum had
processed the most recent tables (triggered by insertion; partitioned by date),
but had not processed some of last month's tables (which I was querying for
relpages, since it's a complete month), since this DB was upgraded to pg9.4
last month.

Thanks,
Justin