Re: OOM-killer issue when updating a inheritance table which has large number of child tables

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: chenhj <chjischj(at)163(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OOM-killer issue when updating a inheritance table which has large number of child tables
Date: 2015-03-12 13:38:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 06:55:48PM +0800, chenhj wrote:
> Hi
>
> In my test(PG9.3.4), i found when update a parent table which has a
> large number of child tables, the execute plan will consume lots of
> memory. And possibly cause OOM.

At the moment, partitioning into thousands of tables is not supported.

If you can reproduce the problem in PostgreSQL 9.3.6, or whichever
happens to be the most recent minor version by the time you do the
test, that will help.

Just generally, it helps to provide a complete test case which
reproduces the problem if at all possible.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!