Re: Additional role attributes && superuser review

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Adam Brightwell <adam(dot)brightwell(at)crunchydatasolutions(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Additional role attributes && superuser review
Date: 2015-03-01 15:14:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Alvaro Herrera (alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com) wrote:
> Stephen Frost wrote:
>
> > Thanks! I've gone over this and made quite a few documentation and
> > comment updates, but not too much else, so I'm pretty happy with how
> > this is coming along. As mentioned elsewhere, this conflicts with the
> > GetUserId() to has_privs_of_role() cleanup, but as I anticipate handling
> > both this patch and that one, I'll find some way to manage. :)
> >
> > Updated patch attached. Barring objections, I'll be moving forward with
> > this soonish. Would certainly appreciate any additional testing or
> > review that you (or anyone!) has time to provide.
>
> I thought I saw a comment about using underscore to separate words in
> privilege names, such as EXCLUSIVE_BACKUP rather than running it all
> together. Was that idea discarded?

Hrm, I'm not finding that on a quick look through the archives. Looking
at the other role options, we don't have any with underscores but we do
have a couple of cases where we uses spaces, eg:

CONNECTION LIMIT
VALID UNTIL

So, using EXCLUSIVE BACKUP would be similar to those, but we'd then need
to have the 'NO' version as 'NO EXCLUSIVE BACKUP', I'd think, and I'm
not sure we really want to go there.

On the other hand, we do run together the 'CREATE' options (CREATEDB,
CREATEROLE), and I've not heard anyone suggesting to change those.

I guess for my part, at least, having it run together as
'EXCLUSIVEBACKUP' seems fine, but this does make me realize that I need
to go add tab-completion for these new options. :)

Thanks!

Stephen