Re: CATUPDATE confusion?

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Adam Brightwell <adam(dot)brightwell(at)crunchydatasolutions(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CATUPDATE confusion?
Date: 2015-02-25 20:39:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Peter Eisentraut (peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net) wrote:
> On 12/29/14 7:16 PM, Adam Brightwell wrote:
> > Given this discussion, I have attached a patch that removes CATUPDATE
> > for review/discussion.
> >
> > One of the interesting behaviors (or perhaps not) is how
> > 'pg_class_aclmask' handles an invalid role id when checking permissions
> > against 'rolsuper' instead of 'rolcatupdate'.
>
> I'd get rid of that whole check, not just replace rolcatupdate by rolsuper.

Err, wouldn't this make it possible to grant normal users the ability to
modify system catalogs? I realize that they wouldn't have that
initially, but I'm not sure we want the superuser to be able to grant
that to non-superusers..

I'm fine with making it "if system table and not superuser, error".

Thanks!

Stephen