BUG #12792: I can do a SELECT with no fields

From: lr(at)pcorp(dot)us
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #12792: I can do a SELECT with no fields
Date: 2015-02-20 15:08:44
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 12792
Logged by: Regina Obe
Email address: lr(at)pcorp(dot)us
PostgreSQL version: 9.4.1
Operating system: Windows 2008 R2

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but it seems like a misfeature if it
isn't.

I made the typo of doing

SELECT FROM sometable;

you can also trigger the issue with just doing:

SELECT ;

outputs:
--
(1 row)

I thought there was something wrong with my viewer since it clearly showed
rows, but no fields.

In 9.3 -- this would just error out as I think most databases do. So this
was a bit of a gotcha.

I'm not sure if this issue existed in 9.4.0 alreadyy since I've already
upgraded my database.