BUG #12788: host / peer auth works after pg_ctl reload, then blocks server startup

From: dannyman(at)toldme(dot)com
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #12788: host / peer auth works after pg_ctl reload, then blocks server startup
Date: 2015-02-19 17:44:14
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 12788
Logged by: Daniel Howard
Email address: dannyman(at)toldme(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 9.3.2
Operating system: CentOS

Hello,

I naively added a line like this to pg_hba.conf:

host all postgres x.x.x.x/32 peer

I ran pg_ctl reload.

I was then able to connect from x.x.x.x to do backups.

I then restarted the server, and it failed, with this error:

LOG: peer authentication is only supported on local sockets

I removed the above line from pg_hba.conf and server completed startup. I
can no longer connect from host x.x.x.x.

I can see why pg_ctl reload might gloss over a config issue instead of
bringing down the server, but that the invalid auth configuration then works
strokes me as a bug.

Thanks,
-danny