Re: deparsing utility commands

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: deparsing utility commands
Date: 2015-02-18 17:04:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Stephen Frost wrote:

> I've started taking a look at this as the pgaudit bits depend on it and
> noticed that the patch set implies there's 42 patches, but there were
> only 37 attached..?

Ah, I didn't realize when I posted that the subject was counting those
extra patches. They are later patches that add the testing framework,
but since the tests don't pass currently, they are not usable yet.
Mostly they are about the running deparse_init.sql file that I posted
separately. I will post a real patch for that stuff later today to make
it clear what it is that we're talking about.

FWIW, one of Robert's main objections is that future hackers will forget
to add deparse support for new commands as they are added. In an
attempt to get this sorted out, I have modified the stuff in
ProcessUtilitySlow() so that instead of having one
EventTriggerStashCommand call for each node type, there is only one call
at the end of the function. That way, new cases in the big switch there
will automatically get something added to the stash, which should make
the test fail appropriately. (Things like adding a new clause to
existing commands will be tested by running pg_dump on the databases and
comparing.)