Re: Allow "snapshot too old" error, to prevent bloat

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Allow "snapshot too old" error, to prevent bloat
Date: 2015-02-16 23:26:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2015-02-16 16:35:46 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> It seems we already have a mechanism in place that allows tuning of
> query cancel on standbys vs. preventing standby queries from seeing old
> data, specifically
> max_standby_streaming_delay/max_standby_archive_delay. We obsessed
> about how users were going to react to these odd variables, but there
> has been little negative feedback.

FWIW, I think that's a somewhat skewed perception. I think it was right to
introduce those, because we didn't really have any alternatives.

But max_standby_streaming_delay, max_standby_archive_delay and
hot_standby_feedback are among the most frequent triggers for questions
and complaints that I/we see.

Greetings,

Andres Freund