pg_dump's aborted transactions

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_dump's aborted transactions
Date: 2015-02-04 03:12:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

All,

We recently had a client complain that check_postgres' commitratio
check would alert about relatively unused databases. As it turns
out, the reason for this is because they automate running pg_dump
against their databases (surely a good thing..), but pg_dump doesn't
close out its transaction cleanly, leading to rolled back
transactions.

At first blush, at least, this strikes me as an oversight which we
should probably fix and possibly backpatch.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Stephen