Re: pg_upgrade and rsync

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade and rsync
Date: 2015-01-29 16:37:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 09:26:11PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> 3. Check that the replica is not very lagged. If it is, wait for
> traffic to die down and for it to catch up.

Is this necessary. It seems quite imprecise too.

> 4. Shut down the master using -m fast or -m smart for a clean shutdown.
> It is not necessary to shut down the replicas yet.

We already give instructions on how to shut down the server in the
pg_ugprade docs.

> 5. pg_upgrade the master using the --link option. Do not start the new
> version yet.

Stephen mentioned that --link is not clear in the old docs --- I fixed
that.

> 6. create a data directory for the new version on the replica. This
> directory should be empty; if it was initdb'd by the installation
> package, then delete its contents.

rsync will create this for you.

> 10. Start the master, then the replica

I have incorporated all your suggestions in the attached patch. I also
split items into separate sections as you suggested. You can read the
end result here:

http://momjian.us/tmp/pgsql/pgupgrade.html

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Everyone has their own god. +