Re: Improving RLS qual pushdown

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Improving RLS qual pushdown
Date: 2015-01-15 03:18:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Alvaro Herrera (alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com) wrote:
> Robert Haas wrote:
> > >
> > > Right now, EXPLAIN ANALYSE can be used to tell you the number of
> > > unseen rows. Is that something that people are concerned about, and
> > > are there any plans to change it?
> >
> > Interesting question. I don't know.
>
> Wasn't this part of the "covert channel" discussion that took place way
> before RLS was committed? As I recall, it was argued that such covert
> channels are acceptable as long as their bandwidth is low.

Yes, it was part of the discussion and no, there's no plans to try and
hide row counts in explain analyze, nor to deal with things like unique
constraint or foreign key reference violations.

There are other areas which need improvement which will help address
covert channel activity (better auditing, better control over what
actions are allowed to diffferent users when it comes to creating
objects, modifying permissions and policies, throttling, etc).

Thanks,

Stephen