Re: Compression of full-page-writes

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Compression of full-page-writes
Date: 2015-01-01 20:29:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 10:40:53AM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> Good question,  I think there might be some impact due to that, but in
> general for page level compression still there will be much more to
> compress.
>
> In general, I think this idea has merit with respect to compressible data,
> and to save for the cases where it will not perform well, there is a on/off
> switch for this feature and in future if PostgreSQL has some better
> compression method, we can consider the same as well.  One thing
> that we need to think is whether user's can decide with ease when to
> enable this global switch.

Yes, that is the crux of my concern. I am worried about someone who
assumes compressions == good, and then enables it. If we can't clearly
know when it is good, it is even harder for users to know. If we think
it isn't generally useful until a new compression algorithm is used,
perhaps we need to wait until the we implement this.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Everyone has their own god. +