Re: Selectivity estimation for inet operators

From: Emre Hasegeli <emre(at)hasegeli(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Dilip kumar <dilip(dot)kumar(at)huawei(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>
Subject: Re: Selectivity estimation for inet operators
Date: 2014-12-02 21:14:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Actually, there's a second large problem with this patch: blindly
> iterating through all combinations of MCV and histogram entries makes the
> runtime O(N^2) in the statistics target. I made up some test data (by
> scanning my mail logs) and observed the following planning times, as
> reported by EXPLAIN ANALYZE:
>
> explain analyze select * from relays r1, relays r2 where r1.ip = r2.ip;
> explain analyze select * from relays r1, relays r2 where r1.ip && r2.ip;
>
> stats target eqjoinsel networkjoinsel
>
> 100 0.27 ms 1.85 ms
> 1000 2.56 ms 167.2 ms
> 10000 56.6 ms 13987.1 ms
>
> I don't think it's necessary for network selectivity to be quite as
> fast as eqjoinsel, but I doubt we can tolerate 14 seconds planning
> time for a query that might need just milliseconds to execute :-(
>
> It seemed to me that it might be possible to reduce the runtime by
> exploiting knowledge about the ordering of the histograms, but
> I don't have time to pursue that right now.

I make it break the loop when we passed the last possible match. Patch
attached. It reduces the runtime almost 50% with large histograms.

We can also make it use only some elements of the MCV and histogram
for join estimation. I have experimented with reducing the right and
the left hand side of the lists on the previous versions. I remember
it was better to reduce only the left hand side. I think it would be
enough to use log(n) elements of the right hand side MCV and histogram.
I can make the change, if you think selectivity estimation function
is the right place for this optimization.

Attachment Content-Type Size
inet-selfuncs-break-early.patch text/x-diff 1.4 KB